Best New Tracks Of The Week: 7/7/24

5. BACK ON - SBTRKT

SBTRKT has kinda been on one recently, that's something I bet you didn't expect to hear in 2024. Despite what I thought was a huge miss with THE RAT ROAD last year I've enjoyed a number of the singles that have followed in the wake of it. This is another pretty direct embrace of sunny summery house music but it's consistently delightful throughout. 

Listen


4. Lies Lies Lies - Morgan Wallen

"Lies lies lies, eyes eyes eyes" is a lyric that's below Morgan Wallen's pay grade, let's start with that. While he can be one of the most obnoxious artists in music when he's coming with ego, but he's still an earnest conceptualizer of songs. This is a vulnerable cut where he gives in to the numerous lies he tells himself and others about having moved on from a woman no longer in his life. 

Listen


3. kms - Los Campesinos!

The first single from their new record might be the best Los Campesinos song I've heard in 15 years, but it's been a bit of a mixed bag since then. I think this is the second best of the bunch once again capturing that flashing, pessimistically nostalgic portrayal of youth. The song does a great job of making everything feel like it has so much meaning even while singing about how it doesn't and I liked it more and more every time I heard it. 

Listen


2. Tough - Quavo (feat. Lana Del Rey)

I gotta admit this song took me back. In 2017 on her underrated album Lust For Life Lana Del Rey crossed paths with A$AP Rocky and Playboi Carti in a move I wasn't necessarily looking forward to despite being a fan of everyone involved. She proved me wrong there and I sort of think she's done it again. While the fit between Quavo and Lana was never going to be snug I think they do find a halfway decent method for transitioning between their styles. At the very least the song transcends novelty. 

Listen


1. Lithonia - Childish Gambino

If this turns out to be Donald Glover's Speedin Bullet To Heaven I can't think of anything that will age worse than a full-sale embrace of its lead single. But after repeat listens I can't help but find the song drilled into my head with its ornate instrumentation and infectious melodies. Gambino himself is well up to the caliber of performance the song demands and I just think it's a jam start to finish. 

Listen

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 100 Albums Of 2023

The Tortured Poets Department - Taylor Swift: Review

2000s Indie/Rock Roundup with Los Campesinos, Camera Obscura, The Decemberists, Cloud Nothings, & Cage The Elephant: Rapid Fire Reviews