Best New Tracks Of The Week: 10/6/24

I was on vacation last week so this is actyually the best new tracks of the past TWO weeks. *kisses*


5. Neon Signs - The Weather Station

I loved The Weather Stations last album in 2022, even though many fans seemed to overlook it in the wake of its more instrumentally verbose predecessor. That's why I was nervous that when the project left its gentle acoustic meditation behind I may not enjoy it as much. Thankfully with one single under her belt for the 2025 follow-up, The Weather Station seems fully committed to taking the songwriting I loved about her last record and expanding it with a more versatile sound palette and I like it so far. 

Listen


4. Funny Man - Chat Pile

While I wasn't crazy the previous lighter Chat Pile single, this one sees the band digging directly back down into the depths of their harrowing metal instincts. That includes everything from grinding circular guitar riffs to booming drums to an excellent vocal performance that's captivating on both the neurotic verses and screamed hook. It's a bounce back from a band that has rarely missed at any point in their career so far. 

Listen


3. Clueless - Beach Bunny

I'm the first one to admit that I haven't always loved Beach Bunny's Paramore worshipping pop-punk but dating back to their last EP and every single since they've been on an absolute heater. This is the most recent addition, an astoundingly catchy piece of melancholic retrospection that buried its hooks in me on the very first listen. 

Listen


2. Flies - Cheekface

Cheekface is a band that's hit me in a strange way as their music has begun to generate more and more attention in the past few years. While the songwriting has always been sharp, the attitude and seemingly purposeful quirkiness of it all was often a turn off. But something about this song absolutely clicked. From its dumbest nonsense lyrics to its occasional sharp observation all of the lyrics here stick in my brain. Part of that is of course, because this is one of the catchiest songs I've heard all year. Cheekface finally did it in a way that worked for me and they hit it out of the fucking park. 

Listen


1. Break The Tension - Maruja

One of the best breakout acts of 2023 has kept their hot streak going in 2024 and my god, this may be Maruja's best song yet. Tension really is the key word of this song because it is a 3-minute eruption of pure tension with dizzying instrumental arrangements and an unshakable intensity. Every single time you think the song has to dial back is just dives a layer deeper into the chaos and I'm absolutely thrilled from start to finish. 

Listen

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 100 Albums Of 2023

The Tortured Poets Department - Taylor Swift: Review

2000s Indie/Rock Roundup with Los Campesinos, Camera Obscura, The Decemberists, Cloud Nothings, & Cage The Elephant: Rapid Fire Reviews