Best New Tracks Of The Week: 7/21/24



5. Kitsune Maison Freestyle - Porter Robinson
This was basically a shoo-in after Porter told me he thought I had a very nice aura and gave me Virtual Self merch at a pop-up earlier this week. But for the record I also think this is my second favorite of all his new singles so far and the hook has been stuck in my head on a loop since I first heard the original tease of the song. 

4. CLASSIC THEME - SBTRKT
Given how strongly my negative feelings towards the new SBTRKT album last year were it's kind of shocking how much I've enjoyed the run of singles from this year, This new 6-minute cut sneaks onto the list in an admittedly pretty shallow week but the fact that I like yet another one of these leftover cuts is both surprising but honestly refreshing from the veteran dance music outfit. 

3. Skin On Skin - Jasmine 4.t
The newest member of Phoebe Bridgers' Saddest Factory is off to an extremely hot start with the label. Skin On Skin is a creaking singer-songwriter anthem with a combination of evocatively intimate lyricism and the kind of vocal performance that really sticks with you. Somewhere between the soul-bearing early days of Perfume Genius and the far more composed and articulated beauty of someone like ANOHNI, whatever each individual part of the song needs, Jasmine is capable of delivering it. 

2. Chicago - Japandroids
Japandroids are breaking up, but first, they've got one last album in them. Sure it's been over a decade since the band were at their absolute peak but I can't pretend I'm not excited to hear their roaring rock and roll back in action. With a new black and white album cover and familiar soaring guitar leads this is another raucous outing from the rock duo and despite how much it resembles far more corny rock outfits, I can't help but sing along to the triumphant cries of "we call it like we see it in Chicago."


1. I Am Dog Now - Chat Pile
Two years ago, Chat Pile dropped what may be the most promising debut album of this entire decade so far. It arrived on a major wave of hype in the critical underground and still absolutely blew away nearly everyone who covered it. That's why I'm not at all surprised that the lead single to their follow-up is just as ripping, brooding, and completely uncompromising. The band continued to squeeze massive ambitions into a hostile, claustrophobic eruption of pure energy. 

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 100 Albums Of 2023

The Tortured Poets Department - Taylor Swift: Review

Rapid Fire Reviews: Weirdo Electronica With DJ Sabrina The Teenage DJ, SBTRKT, and George Clanton