Best New Tracks Of The Week: 6/16/24

Posting this at the last possible minute. (She did not actually post it in time anyway.)


5. Auguries of Guilt - The World Is A Beautiful Place & I'm No Longer Afraid To Die 

I was inclined to like this song out of the gate because they shout me out by name in the first verse. I will say this song may not have the explosive conclusions and dramatic tension of The World at their absolute best work but it's openly sentimental in a way that my heart is just barely warm enough to enjoy. 

Listen


4. To every squirrel who has ever been hit by a car, I'm sorry and I love you - Fire-Toolz

The best single from prolific digital screamo outfit Fire-Toolz upcoming new album so far is this hilariously named 6-minute odyssey. She continues to combine distant blood-curdling screams with maddeningly glossy splashes of cloudy synths in a messy but surprisingly grounded haze. This song takes that to a compositionally expansive conclusion and I'm happy to go along for the ride. 

Listen


3. Tuesday - Toro Y Moi

Much like Porter Robinson earlier this year people seem to be pretty caught of guard by this new sound from Chaz. I'll be honest I didn't love the song at first but I think it's growing on me. The punky attitude and whiny almost Juice Wrld-sounding vocals on a Toro Y Moi song is deeply bizarre but I can't help but warm up to the great refrains and hilariously on-the-nose sentiment. 

Listen


2. Natalie's Song - Font

This increasingly less and less mysterious Texas band first won me over last year and as they continue to generate more and more buzz they're also releasing more and more great tracks. The most recent is this bouncy indie rock jam. The song is poppier than almost anything I've heard the band do before with glistening keyboard glissandos backing much of the song but their distinctive edge is still in tact and their eccentricities rise to the top of the mix. 

Listen


1. Breaking - ANOHNI

Last year ANOHNI released one of my favorite albums of the decade so far and a protest album that should transcend generations if there's any justice in the world. That's why I was pretty excited for whatever she was gonna do next. In tandem with her new tour she dropped this track Breaking which could have easily been slipped into the tracklist of her last album. She continues to be an unmatched vocalist with a dynamic ability to convey the grandeur of a situation without drowning in its horror.  

Listen

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 100 Albums Of 2023

The Tortured Poets Department - Taylor Swift: Review

Rapid Fire Reviews: Weirdo Electronica With DJ Sabrina The Teenage DJ, SBTRKT, and George Clanton