Best New Tracks Of The Week: 5/12/24

This video is late again and as usual I have a great excuse I just can't hell you <3

Enjoy


5. Gold River - Parannoul

Let the excitement once again get underway for the RYM king of noisy shoegaze, Parannoul. After dropping a record last year that seemed to reel in some of his harshest ambitions this new single is absolutely blistering, occasionally even to the detriment of some of its most dramatic moments. But for the most part it's a sonic pummeling I'm thrilled to take part in. 

Listen


4. xXidontneedyou_tolovemebackXx - Happy Birthday Mr. Baskets

I've been paying attention to Happy Birthday Mr. Baskets since I heard her on Tamagotchi Massacre's delightful new album last year and this is comfortably my new favorite song of hers. With a surprisingly glistening instrumental palette that shines through its dense hyperpop production the track sounds like a sped-up DJ Sabrina track in a way I find mesmerizing. But it's the irresistible refrains that truly won me over as I can honestly say this song hasn't left my head for a moment in the days since I first heard it. 

Listen


3. 360 - Chari XCX

This is what I would call the most reserved of the songs Charli has released from her new album of club music. That doesn't mean it doesn't have an omnipresent danceable beat, just that it sounds more like a pop song than a dance song for the first time in this era. Luckily that's also something Charli does really well. This song is sweet and catchy and I don't really need to ask any more of it. 

Listen


2. Albatross - Cola

While Cola songs sometimes tend to be growers on me this one clicked right away. I love the hypnotizing guitar work and one of the best Tim Darcy vocal performances I've heard in a long time. This song is energizing in a way the band often aren't but they kill it on one of the simpler and most immediately satisfying tunes yet. 

Listen


1. Whiskey - Arooj Aftab

Another single and another absolute dazzler from Arooj Aftab. Even without her grandest vocals she manages to be a deeply captivating singer and the instrumentation she surrounds herself with on this song is surprisingly complex for its gentle demeanor. What results is a wildly entertaining song whose subtler machinations are so interesting you might even forget Arooj is majestically soaring over it. 

Listen

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 100 Albums Of 2023

The Tortured Poets Department - Taylor Swift: Review

Rapid Fire Reviews: Weirdo Electronica With DJ Sabrina The Teenage DJ, SBTRKT, and George Clanton