Best New Tracks Of The Week: 4/14/24

I couldn't quite finish this on time yesterday. I have a great excuse but I can't tell you about it so you'll have to take my word for it.


5. Rag - Porches

Consider me surprised. It's been a while since I REALLY enjoyed a Porches single but I found myself hooked on this one pretty quickly. I love the slurring indie rock style and some of the incredibly evocative lyrics. For a song so intense it's also impressively catchy and has been stuck in my head basically all week. 

Listen


4. Differ - KMRU, Kevin Richard Martin

Normally ambient singles don't really have the kind of pull to stand out on their own the way they do when compellingly assembled into a full album, unless you're Tim Hecker. But the most I listened to this song the more I was impressed by its gentle washes of sound and how impactful they were despite the minimalism. After becoming a big fan of KMRU in the past few years, seeing him collaborate with Kevin Richard Martin of The Bug fame is a crossover I wouldn't have predicted but one I'm very excited about. 

Listen


3. Liberty Print - Camera Obscura

I've been lukewarm to positive on the new Camera Obscura singles so far. But THIS is the exact song I've been waiting for from the irresistible indie pop outfit. With gentle sugary melodies, an instrumental that's more robust that it first appears, and a slick aesthetic that drills its entire sound palette directly into my brain I'm back aboard the hype train for a band I've always thought was deeply underrated. 

Listen


2. Nasty - Tinashe

After loving Tinashe's 2021 effort 333 I dragged my feet on reviewing her new album last year mostly because it was such a short outing. I won't be making that mistake again. Nasty is the lead single to a sequel to that project and it's yet another smash from Nashe. I love the song's theme that manages to meet in the middle of horny and romantic and the production continues to be fresh and vibrant. I like everything about the song. 

Listen


1. Honey - Caribou

After Dan Snaith dropped a Daphni album that I didn't love, I wasn't specifically looking forward to hearing a new Caribou song that sounded like Daphni. But boy I was wrong because this track is an absolute fucking jam that feels custom-made to land straight on the dance floor. The vibrant tones throughout the track and short but memorable lyrical samples both work perfectly to supplement a driving beat that I've already found impossible not to dance to. 

Listen

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 100 Albums Of 2023

The Tortured Poets Department - Taylor Swift: Review

Rapid Fire Reviews: Weirdo Electronica With DJ Sabrina The Teenage DJ, SBTRKT, and George Clanton