Best New Tracks Of The Week: 2/18/24

*mwah*

5. I'm A Man - Kim Gordon

It seems like the uncompromising nature of the first single from this new Kim Gordon album was no accident. This second single is arguably just as intent to grab you by the throat and hold on tight. The instrumental once again featured rattling drums and rumbling bass but it's even more brash in its presentation. While the refrains here aren't quite as catchy as its predecessor they arguably set up for even more intense moments. 

Listen

4. Brown Paper Bag - DIIV

In a world where a lot of music fans were excited for other things. I was hyped for the return of one of my favorite shoegaze outfits of the 2010s. DIIV's new lead single certainly fits in with the sound and style I was expecting to hear, but in a sense, that's why I'm not head over heels for it. While the slowed down and heavier demeanor is welcome, sonically parts of this song still feel like the band leaning into what they know they can do well. It's hard to see that as a complaint, but I'm hoping they build on this good start with a song that presents a more challenging sonic direction next. 

Listen

3. Common Blue - Warpaint

The fact that Warpaint have somehow fallen away from favor of indie rock fans continues to blow my mind. In the second act of their career, the band have re-emerged as mystical conjurers of cloudy space, gentle refrains, and remarkable consistency. This new single picks up where their last great album left off delivering more irresistibly catchy moments wrapped around bouncy subdued instrumentation once again. 

Listen

2. TEXAS HOLD EM' - Beyonce

Beyonce's shift into country music has been THE point of discussion all week since she surprise announced it at the Super Bowl. For me the debate on whether or not this qualifies as "country" in a world where that term is borderline meaningless if less important than whether or not she's any good at it. If TEXAS HOLD EM' is any indicator, she could be GREAT at it. This song brings all of her charisma and style to the new sound without missing a beat. 

Listen

1. Capricorn - Vampire Weekend

Listen, my love for Vampire Weekend is well-documented. But my admiration for the band if anything elevates the standards I have for them. While the lead single to their previous album was an irresistible piece of indie pop that won me over immediately, this is a more verbose, patient, and sonically experimental take on their sound. While I didn't find my socks completely knocked off the first time every single relisten had me more and more hooked. The band is FULLY back. 

Listen

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 100 Albums Of 2023

The Tortured Poets Department - Taylor Swift: Review

Rapid Fire Reviews: Weirdo Electronica With DJ Sabrina The Teenage DJ, SBTRKT, and George Clanton