Early Year EP Reviews: Gupi, Pile, @

There were a few early-year EPs I wanted to cover, so let's take a look at them all together. 


glow-zone EP - gupi

I don't think I've talked about gupi since 2020 when their collaborative food house album with Fraxiom was making waves in the hyperpop scene. In the meantime, I think I've probably seen at least 5 gupi sets at various parties and raves and they're liable to put on a good show. That's why I was excited to unpack this EP and see what gupi had to offer over 5 new tracks. But the project that resulted was probably something I should have seen coming. The project blurs together some of the poppy instincts of hyperpop, even going as far as to conclude with a Hannah Montana cover. But it's delivered with a big spoonful of the squelching synths and thumping dance beats of the more house and techno-flavored material gupi has released in the past. One place it works really well is in the jittery up-tempo song hyperstop. The track seems custom-made for the cutest warehouse rave you can imagine and the level of charm is manages to deliver while supplying significant bombast is impressive. hibachi features a girlishly robotic performance from Ruby Bell that is surprisingly adorable. Even if the lyrics are kind of dumb they're clearly delivered with an awareness and specific intent in mind.

Unfortunately, those are the only two tracks I particularly enjoy from the project. The rest of it contains stuttering glitchy dance beats that don't feel particularly unique or even well-served to gupi's own sweet and slightly angsty vocals. Arguably the Hannah Montana cover stands out for the wrong reasons even though I have no issues with it in principle and honestly it makes a lot of sense to include. gupi firmly remains a must-see live performer but I can't say this EP is doing a ton to win me over to their studio material. 5/10

Hot Air Balloon EP - Pile

Last year, Pile dropped their new album All Fiction and while I didn't do a formal review of it I did hear the album and it left me intrigued to see what the band would do next. While releasing a companion EP likely doesn't really quality as their "next" outing, I still wanted to take the chance to cover it. The often spacey and impressionistic indie rock outfit have continued to be spacious and occasionally dramatic in their new era and this EP is right along with that. The opener Scaling Walls gently sways through a wide open mix blending subtle instrumental touches together until it revs up around the midpoint. The EP pulls its title from the second song The Birds Attacked My Hot Air Balloon which has an even more subtle, creeping rise to its dramatic conclusion. 

That theme is kept up across the next two tracks thought I can't say I find the conclusions quite as appealing as I would hope. In particular, I think Exits Blocked does a great job of capturing and maintaining my interest but the payoff just doesn't feel that worthwhile. Thankfully the closing track You Get To Decide is the best of the bunch morphing its dreamy repeating guitar licks to an absolutely thunderous conclusion. Unsurprisingly, this EP feels like an extension of the album that preceded it. But in a sense, that means I enjoyed it just as much. Once again I'm coming away from a Pile project not necessarily blown away by what they delivered, but plenty intrigued enough to spot what they do next. 6/10

Are You There God? It's Me @ EP - @

Last year, impossible-to-Google psychedelic folk duo @ experienced a breakthrough with the full reissue of their album Mind Palace Music. I enjoyed the project when I reviewed it but more importantly, I saw the potential in their bold stylistic approach and willingness to take their songwriting and soundplay in uncompromisingly strange directions. That's why I was really excited for this new EP as the songs included are likely at least a year or two newer than their debut. That's one full display on Webcrawler whose eerie reservation has a haunted house aesthetic but when is breaks down into a random electric guitar solo, it still feels welcome. It's also present on the first single I heard from the record Soul Hole. The song is a strangely tongue-in-cheek affair that meets a straightforward repetitive refrain with eerie backing vocals and impressively punchy drums. It's surprisingly infectious. 

The EP's opening track Processional returns to the profound weirdness. From the strange layered vocals to the haunting circular keys the whole thing feels like a dizzying spiral of sparse indie folk mania. The very strangest moment on the entire album is the title track. The song's first half is almost interlude-like with layers of repeated sung-spoken vocals. Then in the second half, it randomly transforms into a sunshine pop song that is truly unlike anything else I've ever heard from the band. In fact, it's such a far cry from their usual demeanor that it almost feels like a big ironic joke. I'm happy to report that this EP lived up to my expectations for just how weird and wonderful this band can be. While there may still be even more room for improvement these tracks continue to display an impressive ambition and the execution is improved from their debut. With a sonic palette I guarantee you won't hear anywhere else this year and no hesitation to follow their most unruly musical desires @ expands upon the promise of their debut all across Are You There God. 7.5/10



Popular posts from this blog

The Top 100 Albums Of 2023

The Tortured Poets Department - Taylor Swift: Review

Rapid Fire Reviews: Weirdo Electronica With DJ Sabrina The Teenage DJ, SBTRKT, and George Clanton