Best New Tracks Of The Week: October 8th, 2023

This was meant to be posted last night but I was eepy.

5. Munitions - Forest Swords
The new Forest Swords songs have been getting creepier and creepier with each new release. This haunting piece of disturbing but not discordant electronica makes use of space and metallic distortion to really fry my brain. The feeling that everything is being blasted at you from a dark tunnel you can't see the end of is just icing on the cake. 

4. Out Of Luck - Tkay Maidza (feat. Lolo Zouai & Amber Mark)
This song had me pretty excited on promise alone. I've enjoyed music from both Tkay and Amber a LOT in the past few years and the crossover has immense potential. While it doesn't exactly knock my socks off like some of Tkay's best R&B moves, the song is still pretty solid. I think the styles of everyone involved come together well even beyond just their vocal chemistry. The song has a warm undertone that feels a lot like Amber Mark's debut album from last year but with a sporadic playfulness that is uniquely Tkay.

3. S.I.N.G.L.E - Say Now
To say I wasn't crazy about this new single from the girl group at first would be an understatement. While I'm still not sure the title abbreviation is actually as good as they think it is they have once again nailed a vintage tone that I really appreciate. The trio try reminiscing on early 2000s R&B in a way that is so obvious and yet still feels so distinct in the modern field. Maybe it's because they've been listening to a lot of Flo this year, who arguably do the trick even better, but I like this song regardless. 

2. Injection Basic Sound - Matmos
What can I say, Matmos strangeness continues to amuse me. In one of the most purely weird outings yet the prolific duo spin methodical vocal samples around warped samples that will feel familiar for fans of their brilliant album Plastic Anniversary. It's the strange approach to sonic texture that fans of the pair should be more than familiar with and they really do it like nobody else could. 

1. Collect - Torres
I've been incredibly excited to hear from Torres again following her best album to date, 2021's Thirstier. What she's followed up with is something whose cold edge feels like an afront to the lovesick bliss of points on her last album. Collect is not just lyrically confrontational but sonically as well. While the hook isn't exactly sticky, it uses a more methodical repetition than I was expecting to really drill that hostility down. It collects rolling thunderclouds and the eventual storm that comes on the hook is worthwhile.

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 100 Albums Of 2023

The Tortured Poets Department - Taylor Swift: Review

Rapid Fire Reviews: Weirdo Electronica With DJ Sabrina The Teenage DJ, SBTRKT, and George Clanton