Indie Flavored EP Reviews with Beach House, Bloc Party, and Spoon

Become EP - Beach House

I enjoyed Beach House's new album Once Twice Melody quite a bit last year so I was excited to get an extra helping of it. Previous times that Beach House has dug into the B-Side well, most notably the wonderful song Chariot, have been exceedingly pleasing. While these tracks are by no means bad, I can kind of see why they were left off of the already dense tracklist of the band's last album. The first two tracks in the project do have all the hallmarks of Beach House but lack some of the heart and feel like they would just blend in really innocuously into any of their best albums. Holiday House follows and it's much closer to the band's best material. Even then while I think it does an amazing job of building up to the chorus, that chorus doesn't have the punch that I would necessarily hope for. I've also come around to the beautiful textures of Black Magic whose instrumentation is truly some of the prettiest I've ever heard on a Beach House song even if it can start to feel like it's wandering compositionally. This EP doesn't do a whole lot for me, which is fine given it's predominately a collection of leftovers. I think it does a great job of displaying the dream pop foundations that Beach House is capable of still stand tall above their contemporaries. But a few of these tracks also prove that you still need to do something on top of that foundation to make it memorable. 5.5/10


The High Life EP - Bloc Party

I've always loved Bloc Party and thought that they were severely underrated beyond their acclaimed debut album. Even with my admiration for the band, their most recent album was easily their weakest yet. While the song did have some moments like the wonderful and extremely underrated If We Get Caught, it also had some of the band's most underwhelming material. That's why I was so excited to hear the title track from this EP. The song is a groovy, catchy dance-rock number that I instantly gravitated towards. Even though I wasn't nearly as crazy about the second single Keep It Rolling, I was at least excited to see what the band had in store, sounding livelier than they have in years. The third track Blue is quite sentimental and driving in the way that many of Bloc Party's sweetest songs have been before. I like it but I'm not head over heels for it because I think the lyrics can definitely be a bit fumbling sometimes in the most obvious of ways. Unfortunately, the closing track The Blood Moon is the weakest of the bunch. It has this kind of Cure pastiche to its guitar tones and songwriting and while the verses are okay the hook is a total mess. This short project does have one GREAT song on it, but the other three vary from flat-out duds to only somewhat decent efforts. While Bloc Party continue to show they have greatness in them, it also continues to only come out sparingly. 5/10


Memory Dust EP - Spoon

Even if I'm not as crazy about Spoon's 2022 album now as I was at the time, I do still like it. It certainly helps maintain their reputation as one of the most consistent musical acts in all of rock. That's why I wanted to crack open this EP assuming it would be more solid, if slightly unspectacular or predictable material. Turns out this project sees the band getting a little blusier than usual at least on the opener Sugar Babies. It was a turn I was surprised to hear at first but eventually, the gruff guitar tones and rambling instrumental style grew on me. I can't say the same for the cover of She's Fine, She's Mine which sees the band really trying to lean into some of their gruff sounds and sentimentalities and ending up sounding rougher around the edges than they have any right to. Thankfully I think the other original song in the bunch Silver Girl is a much more familiar brand of piano rock that I enjoy. Once again I can't say this project is re-writing the book on anything. For those who aren't already Spoon fans I can't really see the appeal but for those who do like the band, I also can't really see any reason to skip out on the two solid tracks the project serves up. 6.5/10


 

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 100 Albums Of 2023

The Tortured Poets Department - Taylor Swift: Review

Rapid Fire Reviews: Weirdo Electronica With DJ Sabrina The Teenage DJ, SBTRKT, and George Clanton