Best New Tracks Of The Week: June 18th, 2022

5. PARA PARA - CHAI
While this song is too objectively cute to get left off my summer playlist, I don't think I would put it among Chai's greatest hits. The band often has such a strong knack for those infectiously catchy refrains but while this song is extremely sweet it hasn't gotten stuck in my head. I love some of the future funk flavors in the instrumental and how it just soars to an adorable conclusion on the hook. For the most part the song is exceedingly pleasant while its on but it doesn't stick with me.  

4. Damian - Sun Kil Moon
I definitely ignored Sun Kil Moon singles all year that absolutely should have been on these list behind purely the merit of the songs alone. I'm still not sure how to grapple with the legacy of perhaps my favorite songwriter of all time but as he continues to release music it obviously continues to be wonderful. This song channels one of his most strikingly beautiful outings ever Carissa by paying tribute to a family member after they've passed. 

3. Attention - Doja Cat
I'm going to try my best not to extrapolate too much about Doja's new era from this one song. While she seems to be a bit more comfortable playing to a sparse instrumental andleaning into her hip-hop influences she's also still no doubt her confident and funny self. Even though I like the verses on this song a lot more than the hook it still grew on me every time I heard it.


2. we said / differernt rings  / unbeknownst - Matana Roberts
If you've missed Matana Roberts as much as I have then you should be VERY happy with this song. From the wandering and often confrontational instrumental passages to the versatility of vocal performances throughout this track is a spiraling odyssey. The only reservation of any kind I have to it is that it won't sound the absolute best possible until I hear it within the context of its album. 

1. Sliver Of Ice - ANOHNI
The second taste of Anohni's new album is a big more sonically reserved than her first but the reults are just as satisfying. It gives her utterly beautiful vocals a platform to expand and explore the entire mix with absolutely brilliant results. While the song is less directly political than its predecessor it is no less interesting on the lyrical front with Anohni's poignant musings sure to have you digging deeper into the meaning after you hear them. 

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 100 Albums Of 2023

The Tortured Poets Department - Taylor Swift: Review

Rapid Fire Reviews: Weirdo Electronica With DJ Sabrina The Teenage DJ, SBTRKT, and George Clanton