Best New Tracks Of The Week: March 5th, 2023

5. Worms - Ashnikko
I can see this not going over well since on the surface this song is a pretty severe aesthetic mismatch with lyrics that don't seem to particularly add up to anything and a plucked bassline placed precariously over a rattling trap beat. Once I gave myself into the theme of the song, having brain worms, it's sonic clashes started to click with me a bit more. Whether this will hold up will be put to the test on the album but I see the potential in what Ashnikko is going for here more than on the first single. 

4. Since I Have A Lover - 6LACK
The decision to switch from darker, moodier R&B to something brighter and even a bit indie flavored was one I didn't understand at first but it did grow on me ever so slightly. Maybe it's just that I'm so excited for 6LACK to be back but some of the things that normally bother me on songs like the weak hook or the track just bowing out completely out of nowhere at the end didn't really dampen the sweet vibe I got while listening to it. 

3. Red Ruby Da Sleeze - Nicki Minaj
Going into this song you should just know that the hook isn't great. It's not even that it's the worst thing I've ever heard it just abandons so much of the style and momentum of the song's confrontational start. The reason it's so unfortunate is that Nicki really does deliver a pretty confrontational verse full of quotables over a sparse instrumental that I like a lot. It's ultimately a mixed result but one that does many things right.

2. Not Strong Enough - boygenius
What a wonderful new helping from the trio of indie sadgirls who already seem in line to massively improve on their debut. The song is a twangy indie outing the likes of which we've heard from each of the artists before though this one is primarily handled by Phoebe and Julien. It's wonderful rootsy touch suits Julien Baker in particular very well and the momentum it manages to build up going into every hook without stepping on the songs light instrumental tone is very impressive. 


1. Before I Knew The Truth - Liturgy
If you weren't already excited about this new Liturgy album, get excited because this is the best helping yet from the transcendental black metal band's new project. While it may be the most compositionally straightforward of the bunch the sounds here are crushing with a mix of technical proficiency and animalistic brutality that I find irresistible. This might be one of the best songs I've heard so far in 2023. 

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 100 Albums Of 2023

The Tortured Poets Department - Taylor Swift: Review

Rapid Fire Reviews: Weirdo Electronica With DJ Sabrina The Teenage DJ, SBTRKT, and George Clanton