Best New Tracks Of The Week: February 5th, 2023

One month into the year and we've had three VERY solid release weekends as far as new singles go. This one didn't exactly shine as bright but there are still tracks worth hearing. 

5. Layla - Unknown Mortal Orchestra
For the second single in a row I'm not blown away immediately by a new UMO track and for almost the exact same reasons. There's some very solid songwriting here and sounds that I would imagine could craft immaculately textured vibes if they came from a different era in the band's career. But like Captain Cook before it the instrumentation here is pretty raw and scant. I could see the refrains here winning me over with time but I'm not sure the song has anything like the intimately plucked strings that eventually changed my mind on their last single.

4. Forbidden Doors - Tennis
Tennis isn't really a band I'm ever expecting to show up and drop one of the best singles of the week. While I've enjoyed a LOT of their material in the past, they have a methodical way about them that is consistent but unspectacular. That's why I was so surprised to see how exciting this new single can be and how unique it felt within their discography. If this is the ceiling for their upcoming album it has the potential to be their best yet.

3. Every Little Heart - The Tallest Man On Earth
The wait for new Tallest Man On Earth has felt like ages and hearing his raspy vocals on a track once again helps iron out some of the wrinkles on the track. Even though I wish the instrumental developed in a bit more meaningful way and the song had a more distinct climax, it's a wander that I'm happy to go on and one that I think could turn out even more fulfilling in the context of a new album.

2. For A While - Whitney
This band just has something, I can't think of a better way to put it. They have a charm and knack for memorable songwriting that completely outshines their use of some very familiar sounds and styles. The gentle execution and down-to-earth stylings they present feel like crack to me. This is a song that's been bouncing around live sets of the band's for years and let me just say I'm glad it finally made it to release because I really enjoy it.

1. Wyrmlands - HMLTD
One of my biggest regrets in terms of albums I've let slip by me and never gone back to review is definitely the last HMLTD record which was quite good and I knew it, but I somehow couldn't find the time to cover it. That won't happen again with their forthcoming record which I was already excited for but jesus christ, after this fusion of slinky jazz with chaotic post-punk and noise rock I'm considering it very possible it ends up being one of the best albums of the year. 

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 100 Albums Of 2023

The Tortured Poets Department - Taylor Swift: Review

Rapid Fire Reviews: Weirdo Electronica With DJ Sabrina The Teenage DJ, SBTRKT, and George Clanton