Best New Tracks Of The Week: February 12th, 2023

Yes this list is late, it was a busy weekend, let me live. Enjoy <3

5. Sixers - The Hold Steady
Am I gonna like this new Hold Steady album? For the second single in a row I feel like I should be docking points because it sounds so much like so many of their other songs but when push comes to shove for some reason the songwritery details Craig Finn weaves into everything just works on me. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the bar rocky piano finale to the song which feels even a bit too corny for The Hold Steady.

4. The Court - Peter Gabriel
I like parts of this song a LOT, the stark hook with its distant punches of echoing percussion is tailor-made for me to appreciate. While some of the song's intimate whispers can come off goofier than I think is intended I'm surprised just how much of this song stuck in my head after only a few times hearing it. It's not perfect but it definitely does enough. 

3. Swing (In A Dream) - Squid
Okay, consider me surprised. The band who absolutely blew me away in 2021 with the lead single from their debut album is back for another round but their sound is already starting to resemble some of the more instrumentally verbose post-punk contemporaries they have. Ultimately, I got over my surprise and enjoyed the song which develops in a very meaningful way even if some of me still misses the pure intensity I was expecting.

2. 73 % - Algiers
I think this is the song I've been waiting for from this era of Algiers. Even though I've never been crazy about their albums they always conjure up at least one great single and this time I think this is it. It's a short but thoroughly chaotic and explosive declaration that left me guessing time and time again throughout. This song is fucking crazy in the best way. 

1. Pearls - Jessie Ware
At this point, I'd be surprised if Jessie Ware released a song that wasn't amazing. Her latest venture is the most directly disco influenced with her sounding indistinguishable from a late 70s disco queen on the soaring hook. The song dials up her level of glitz to an 11 and she's absolutely ready to meet the moment with both her great vocals and boatloads of charisma on display. 

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 100 Albums Of 2023

The Tortured Poets Department - Taylor Swift: Review

Rapid Fire Reviews: Weirdo Electronica With DJ Sabrina The Teenage DJ, SBTRKT, and George Clanton