Best New Songs Of The Week: October 23rd. 2022

The first time I opened this I realized I had written "October 23th" in the header so there are sure to be more errors from here. 

Enjoy <3


5. Sunset - Caroline Polachek
I went back and forth on this one quite a bit as the plucky Spanish guitars felt like a very strange combo for THIS song when performed by THIS artist. But honestly as I kept listening the song started to grow on me primarily through its incredibly infectious refrains. While I wish the bridge had a little something more than just Caroline's extended vocalizing I do still like the song. 


4. Where I Go - NxWorries (Feat. H.E.R)
NxWorries, the collaborative project of Anderson .Paak and Knxwledge is back after a long hiatus and they're announcing their return with this silky bedroom anthem which pairs Paak with H.E.R. Once you break down the lyrics there's quite a bit more going on here than the normal bassline of love and lust but you couldn't tell just from how infectiously smooth it all sounds.


3. Do Better - Ab-Soul (Feat. Zacari)
Soul tapped Zacari for a great feature on what might be his best song of the past 6 years. This beautiful little piece of self-reflection comes with a distant but incredibly pretty instrumental and a simple but memorable sort of hook. It's all set-up really for what the song primarily achieves, an update on how Soul is thinking, feeling, and acting which he delivers with the same trademark creativity and honesty he's always given. 


2. Winter Solstice - Phoenix
If you explained this song to me in concept I would have guessed that I wouldn't enjoy it. I would have pinned Phoenix as the type of band that couldn't conjure up catchy refrains at ballad speed and wouldn't push the icy synth lines far enough. Turns out they nailed both of those artistic choices and really impressed me with the subtle ways the song lulls you in before chilling you to your core with those synths on the hook. I could pretty easily envision this becoming one of my favorite songs on their new record. 


1. Happy Ending - Kelela
In Kelela's seemingly unending quest to fuse her R&B stylings with as many complimentary sounds as possible, she's settled on this steady drum and bass beat which contrasts perfectly with her sequence of refrains. Another song that doesn't necessarily mean what it sounds like it does, the sonic experience here is an instantly satisfying one. 

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 100 Albums Of 2023

The Tortured Poets Department - Taylor Swift: Review

Rapid Fire Reviews: Weirdo Electronica With DJ Sabrina The Teenage DJ, SBTRKT, and George Clanton