NOT TiGHT - Domi & JD Beck: Review


Domi & JD Beck
are a duo of drums and keyboard jazz prodigies who are teaming up as the first artists signed to Anderson .Paak's nee APESHIT label imprint. The pair generated popularity through a series of online videos and their debut record features a number of high-profile collaborations. 

Review by Lav:
I was a little bit late to this one admittedly. While I was aware of these two and some of their first singles as a collaborative effort somehow it slipped through the cracks and I didn't even know the record was about to come out when it did. But once I saw it and listened though for the first time I knew I had to cover it because there really is so much potential between these two. While this record has its problems I think it also sets them up to be a fascinating pair going forward and it's one of the more exciting debuts I've heard in 2022.

The record gets off to a great start with singles WHATUP and SMiLE both of which are highly indicative of the records tone towards jazz. There's a jittery and up-tempo sense of excitement throughout but it always comes delivered with a seamless fluidity that makes listening to the record an absolute breeze. 

After that comes a pair of tracks featuring Thundercat as both a singer and instrumentalist which gets us started on how well the record deploys most of its features. BOWLING is one of the record's biggest drumming highlights and Thundercat fits in perfectly with his trademark fragile singing vocals. NOT TiGHT by comparison is a more dense track with thicker percussion and watery splashes surrounding the tattering drum lines. While I think the record is at its best when it's at its clearest this is a change of pace that I do quite enjoy. 

Anderson .Paak himself shows up twice on the record and while his first feature makes the track TAKE A CHANCE one of the most single-ready on the record, I much prefer PiLOT later on which also sports features from Snoop Dogg and Busta Rhymes and is one of my favorite songs in the mix. Later on in the record there's WHOA with jazz guitarist Kurt Rosenwinkel whose performance highlights one of numerous great moments as the song shifts between its various passages. 

I was pretty excited to hear TWO SHRiMPS with Mac DeMarco because he seemed like an interesting choice given the duo's jittery style of songwriting. Turns out they set him up surprisingly well in a fusion of vocals and jazz that reminds me a lot of some tracks from BADBADNOTGOOD's IV. The only real complaint I have on the song is the mix which often causes the drumming to overpower Mac's psyched-out vocal performance. My least favorite collaboration is unfortunately probably MOON though my issue with it has more to do with the vocals than the song itself. They are clearly trying to use vocal effects and generally reserved performances as a purposeful stylistic choice but I'm not crazy about it. 

There are other tracks particularly in the second half that I'm not crazy about like DUKE which s so short and sleepy it feels more like an interlude. I'm also not crazy about SPACE MOUNTAIN where the pair try to step outside the bounds of their conventional drum and keys formula but it doesn't do nearly as much for me as their core sound. 


Thankfully I've saved the best for last. SNiFF is the best composition and one of the most exciting songs on the entire record. It's pretty much the synthesis of what the band shoots for with their style but done so creatively that I can't look away for a second. The most memorable song on the album is U Don't Have To Rob Me which perfects the pairs tongue and cheek style and the way it blends with their technical proficiency. It's an outright hilarious song with an instrumental that bounces along while Domi and JD list out all the reasons why you shouldn't rob them. It's a great idea in concept that's made even better in execution. 


This album isn't perfect but I like it quite a bit. Despite its inconsistencies, the personalities and talent of Domi and JD are on display throughout. They really do have an opportunity to be some of the most unique and compelling musicians in modern jazz. while also delivering the kind of charm that makes this record stand out. All I can say is that this is more than enough to make me excited for any time I see their names pop up anywhere in the future. 7/10



Album Cover Review by Tyler Judson:

This cover is fun and has a childish whimsy that I enjoy. I always like a photoshoot in a studio with set pieces and an environment that's more than just a colored wall, so I really appreciate the styling put into this. I would've added some more personality with branding to make it more than just a simple photo, but it's still pretty good as is. 7.5/10


For some more talented musicians check out my review of Steve Lacy's Gemini Rights here

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 100 Albums Of 2023

The Tortured Poets Department - Taylor Swift: Review

Rapid Fire Reviews: Weirdo Electronica With DJ Sabrina The Teenage DJ, SBTRKT, and George Clanton