Emotional Eternal - Melody's Echo Chamber: Review


Melody's Echo Chamber

is the dream-pop project of singer and songwriter Melody Prochet. Emotional Eternal is the project's 3rd album and comes after a 4-year gap from the previous, Bon Voyage.

Review By Lav:

I'm not sure I have all that much to say about Melody's Echo Chamber. A few months ago I threw the project's debut album on my Best Albums of 2012 list because it really is just an enjoyable run of dreamy synth-pop tracks. I enjoyed the long-awaited sophomore album and I fully anticipated enjoying this especially after hearing the single Alma, which has become one of my favorite Melody's Echo Chamber songs to date. While I wouldn't call this record mind-blowing or anything, I once again enjoy the project. 

So let's talk about that very single that won me over so much because on the album it's expanded to nearly twice as long on a track called Alma_The Voyage. Thankfully everything that made me fall in love with the song in the first place is present in a mostly unchanged first half. While I'm not nearly as crazy about the extended instrumental passage afterward it does add a measure of grandiosity to serve as the final moments of the album. 

Looking Backward was the lead single but on the album, it's become a bit of a tone-setter after a soft intro. It kicks off with a pretty infectious synth line that grabs me quickly and there's quite a bit of dynamism to the writing that keeps my interest strong. I also wasn't crazy about Personal Message as a single but I like it more within the tracklist. The refrains still haven't really won me over but the wiry electric guitar lines sound better and better pretty much every time I hear the song. 

Despite the record being pretty short it goes on a pretty good run in the middle. Pyramids In The Clouds is a step up instrumentally from the first few tracks on the record/ It's such a bright and dreamy song that walks the fine line of being shimmering without ever having to be loud. It also has a psychedelic breakdown that I really enjoy. The Hypnotist has emerged as a huge highlight for me as it opens sounding like much of the other tracks on the record before flushing everything out to isolate Melody's gentle whispered vocals with this great wandering bassline. It's a great change of pace that stands out in a really memorable way.

Where The Water Clears The Illusion might actually be the closest thing to a true pop song on the record with a shimmering hook that cuts right through the cloudy array of synths. Regardless of how you classify it, it's a really beautiful song. It manages to have both a compelling build and a nonstop rollout of catchy refrains.

By comparison, A Slow Dawning Of Peace is much more indie leaning and I'm not quite as crazy about it. While the drums are pretty enjoyable in the way they methodically drive the song throughout, the bridge does very little for me and I think the hook is okay. My least favorite track on the record is unfortunately the opener and title track. Like most of the record, I think the drums are a highlight but it's one of the only moments on the record where the plucked string lines completely overtake the song. What's even more of an issue is that the refrains do very little for me with the soaring vocals just getting buried in the mix. 

Emotional Eternal is about as solid as I expected it to be. The tracklist is pretty short and there are a few duds in the mix but there were quite a few exciting songs with memorable hooks to be found. I think this record is cloudier and a bit more obscure than her first two but that ultimately comes around in a pretty satisfying way as Melody handles the intimacy well as both a vocalist and lyricist. If you have the patience to digest her gentle poise and swaying style of songwriting, it will reward you long term. 7/10

Album Cover Review by Tyler Judson:

This cover doesn't seem finished. The black and white is really washed out and the composition feels cut off since the space between the eyes and the edge of the frame is minimal. There isn't really a story or a point of view. Something about it is attractive but I think it's because of the high key white. The lack of branding is also disappointing because it could have helped elevate it a little. 3/10

For more indie check out my review of Warpaint's Radiate Like This here

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 100 Albums Of 2023

The Tortured Poets Department - Taylor Swift: Review

Rapid Fire Reviews: Weirdo Electronica With DJ Sabrina The Teenage DJ, SBTRKT, and George Clanton