Best New Songs Of The Week: May 1st, 2022

I'm late, sorry, I was at a music festival. Let's not waste any more time. Enjoy <3


5. Falling Apart (Right Now) - Wilco

When Wilco announces a new album it's still an event in indie music. When that announcement comes with a short but catchy and slightly psychedelic tinged lead single it is even more of a moment. Nothing about this is mind blowing but it's a very solid start for one of the more respected acts in all of indie to return with.

Listen


4. Big Time - Angel Olsen

If you ever hoped that Angel Olsen would try her hand at writing a Courtney Barnett song I think this is the closest you'll get. While it doesn't have the same kind of snarky attitude to it and the instrumentation is much more folk inspired this is one of the wordiest tracks I've ever heard from Angel Olsen. While I do enjoy what she has to say I also can't help but think the song is crying out for a climactic moment to complete it. 

Listen


3. Hello, Hi - Ty Segall

Ty's era of absolute ragers continues with this new single. As prolific as he is he manages to keep his very recognizable sound fresh. While the combination of falsetto vocals with this churning guitar riffs won't sound like anything new to fans, the song is still great. In just a two minutes it introduces you to the vocals, helps you digest them, then blasts you away when they pair perfectly with the riffing, a hit.

Listen


2. Flashcube Fog Wares - Matmos

Oh Matmos, even in a week with so much highly anticipated material and universally appealing music they manage to cement themselves among the best of the best with this space age piece of experimental electronica. They're 3/3 on singles so far and each one has taken a completely different approach with this one sounding like one of the most truly cerebral moments off of their massive 3 disc last album. It is squelching, shrill and absolutely impossible to predict, and I love it for that. 

Listen


1. Palaces - Flume (Feat. Damon Albarn)

At first Damon Albarn felt like a strange pairing for Flume. While there was a point in his career that I could easily imagine Damon over one of Flume's hypnotic and colorful bangers, he's been on a much slower kick in recent years. Turns out Flume had already taken that into consideration and crafted an expansive and utterly beautiful song for Damon to contribute to. It's a showstopping moment that only further built up hype for one of my most highly anticipated records of the year. 

Listen

Popular posts from this blog

You Are The Morning - jasmine.4.t: Review

Willoughby Tucker, I'll Always Love You - Ethel Cain: Review

ICONOCLASTS - Anna Von Hausswolff: Review