Animal - LUMP: Review


LUMP

is a collaborative project between singer-songwriter Laura Marling and multi-instrumentalist and member of folktronica band Tunng, Mike Lindsay. They debuted with a highly acclaimed EP in 2018, before Laura released one of the most universally loved albums of her career in 2020. This set up for a highly anticipated debut of the LUMP project with Animal.

Review By Lav:

While I've always been an admirer of Laura's music LUMP included, she reached new heights with last years Song For Our Daughter. The songwriting and performances were so expertly done that the record delivered excellence on one track after another. While Animal certainly doesn't match that level of consistency, it replaces it with some strikingly unique sound palettes that push the singer-songwriter style in new directions. 

The records four singles are a perfect representation of this with an inconsistent but very unique set. Climb Every Wall was far and away my favorite single coming into the record and it's still one of my favorite songs here. It has extremely infectious refrains paired with a steady pounding instrumental that leads it to excellent high points. I also think the thematic metaphor at the core of the song is a really smart one that re-contextualizes some of the more abstract lyricism and makes for a complete track. We Cannot Resist was another single I enjoyed with some of the most thematically straightforward lyrics on the record, diving into themes of youth and lust that are pretty common in this style of music. It works well with an easy to digest instrumental centered around a short but incredibly sweet guitar lick. One of the coolest elements of the track is the otherwise mundane bliss being punctured by an eerie whispered hook that adds an unsettling ambiguity to the entire track.

On the flip side of this there are some tracks I find interesting, but maybe not complete or entirely compelling as songs. Gamma Ray has an almost croaky instrumental that contrasts hard with the reserved and occasionally very beautiful vocals from Laura. This is also a bit of a weird contrast from the actual lyrics themselves which come off as quite confrontational when you read them. Pair this with a kooky time signature and you've got a track that has appealing elements but doesn't come together in a satisfying way. I find the attitude and aesthetic of the title track Animal similarly difficult to describe. While there is clearly an intention to the songs strong beat and danceable refrains it is also extremely reserved in its presentation and features a complete breakdown of all these elements not that far into its runtime. It doesn't have the most clearly defined sound and given that, the five minute runtime feels a bit excessive. 

While we're discussing these moments I should mention Red Snakes one of the most reserved tracks on the record with an instrumental that is essential ambient on its own. While the vocal refrains aren't quite as relaxed they can come with some meaningful space in between them which ends up dragging some of the moments of raw beauty down. The closing track Phantom Limb is also a mellow track but the focus is much more on the narrative Laura delivers. It has a quiet but rewardingly dense instrumental palette that rises dramatically into a mythical key phrase which I like quite a bit. Just like the LUMP EP the whole thing ends off with the liner notes being read out as spoken word at the end of the song and I actually like that element. The record makes a conscious effort for many of its track to lead into one another sonically and it makes the very wholistic experience rewarding when everyone involved is listed off during its finale. 

The opening track Bloom At Night starts the album off with keys that remind me really distinctly of The National song Light Years but I think they're even more sonically appealing here. It's a driving indie folk cut with an infectious and thoroughly appealing array of drums and a slick bassline in the instrumental. Laura's refrains are catchy and while they're lyrically abstract the wordplay is no doubt compelling. Paradise is the sneakiest highlight on the album with Laura contributing perhaps her best vocals on the entire record here. Both the primary and back-up vocals absolutely soar and work together to form a winding, intoxicating experience. These pair with some muffled drums and strangely psychedelic keys and guitar that make for a woozy and occasionally unsettling style. The whole thing honestly sounds pretty badass and I can't get enough of it. 

Animal is a bold and impressively creative record. While not everything Laura and Mike try goes over perfectly, there is a lot more here that I loved than hated. Even tracks that I wouldn't necessarily call standout moments manage to take artistic risks that I have to give the pair major props for. The record clearly had a goal in lending Laura's fantastic songwriting to a series of district and clearly defined instrumental palettes and in that sense I think it's a total success. Both the LUMP project and both of the artists involved in it are worth looking out for going forward, since they clearly have something going on Animal. 7/10

Album Cover Review By Tyler Judson:

I like this cover. I think it's a cool concept and while abstract it still does a good job as a cover even if it initially reads more like a conceptual photograph. I love that it looks like we're looking up at these figures. I think that there could be some text but overall the vibe given with the strange positioning and warm inviting color does a good job of drawing you in. 8/10

For more singer-songwriter music check out my review of Torres' Thirstier here

Popular posts from this blog

You Are The Morning - jasmine.4.t: Review

Willoughby Tucker, I'll Always Love You - Ethel Cain: Review

ICONOCLASTS - Anna Von Hausswolff: Review