Shelley FKA DRAM - Shelley FKA DRAM: Review


Shelley

is a Virginia based R&B singer who first made a name for himself creating dancy and lovable fusions of R&B and hip hop. He scored hits with tracks like Cha Cha, Broccoli and Cash Machine before cashing in with a debut album in 2016. The most substantial thing we've heard from Shelley since then was the 2018 That's A Girls Name EP whose title feels even more fitting after his commercial name change. 

Review By Lav:

I enjoyed Shelley's debut album Big Baby DRAM quite a bit and I was excited back in 2016 to see what he was going to do next. I was surprised at how little I heard his name over the next few years even with that solid EP which now feels like a distant memory. I don't really have any complaints about his name change, in fact I'm happy for him for being comfortable enough to go by his birth name, what I was more hesitant about was the change in sonic approach. Shelley's humor was a major part of what initially made DRAM so appealing and it was clear from the outset of this record that he was going to be taking it a bit more seriously and making more meditative and sensual tunes. Honestly I was impressed by a couple of the singles and had some expectations for this record, which were mostly met. The number one thing I think anyone can take away from this album is that Shelley is still incredibly talented. 

The first two singles from the record this year were both huge hits with me. Exposure is I guess technically the lead single since it came with the album announcement. I really enjoy it as a sensual and hooky but genuinely meditative piece of R&B. Shelley sounds absolutely buttery on the track and the bouncy groove is a perfect addition making it a killer track all around. Cooking With Grease was another single and another hit with me. It's a groovy, sensual track with a good vocal performance and an even better beat. I love the vocal layering on the hook and how relaxed the entire song feels. It's all so easy for me to just get totally lost in and makes for a big highlight. 

These are by no means the only highlights however. Beautiful is an obvious and very direct love song that even features spoken word breakdowns where Shelley explains just how enamored he is with the woman whom the song is about. It's a very stark song but I think that fits its lyrical approach quite well and those lyrics can be intoxicating. All around I enjoyed the track more every time I heard it. The record also closes on a good stretch with Remedies being one of my favorites on the entire record. It's an absolutely killer track with loads of versatility as Shelley is harmonizing on the hook and nearly rapping on the verses. The song transitions perfectly between all its elements and oozes personality all of which adds up to a major highlight. Rich & Famous is definitely an interesting closer and a very well written track. It is more up-tempo than just about anything else here but given Shelley's history he is clearly capable of handling it. I think the hook is well written though I can't help but wonder if it could have been better executed. The upper register singing gets a bit lost in the chorus of vocals and I think it would be more impactful if you could hear it all better. Despite that the song's thematic focus and memorable verses make for a song I always enjoyed returning to. 

One of the things I was excited about going into this record was the feature list which saw Shelley going toe to toe with some R&B power houses. Unfortunately the these songs didn't turn out to be my favorites on the record as nearly every guest gets handily outperformed by Shelley himself. The Lay Down came out all the way back in 2019 and I had forgotten about it completely. I do enjoy the hook quite a bit but unfortunately that is really the only part of the song that excites me. The verses feel like an absolute slog by comparison and Shelley is far and away the best performer on the track. There is a really enjoyable guitar solo on the back end that keeps me locked in. It's not terrible but it's far from a fully enjoyable song. 

All Pride Aside is the opening track, a slow burner with a solid instrumental rise on the hook and a Summer Walker feature. Once again I much prefer Shelley's falsetto but even he can't save the tracks stagnant second half. It does set the tone for the record but it isn't one of my favorite songs. '93 Acura Vigor is perhaps the most disappointing because it starts off with Shelley speaking on what makes duets so personally impactful to him before seeing him team up with Erykah Badu. I was surprised to not really be that impressed with her performance with Shelley singing her under the table. It doesn't help that the song has one of the weakest instrumentals on the entire record. 

Something About Us kicks off with an absolutely fat groove that reminds me of a Thundercat track. The vocals on the song are mixed incredibly low throughout which leaves them competing for space with the bassline in the mix, with only a few exceptions where Shelley is really giving it his all. It isn't a bad song but I definitely think it could have been performed of mixed more impactfully without ruining its sensual energy. Married Woman may be the only track here that is just a total miss for me. Once again the beat is just trudging along but this time it doesn't even have Shelley's vocals to save it as he feels out of his range for the entire song. He also checks out before eve the two minute mark for a transitional moment into the next song. 

Shelly FKA DRAM is a pretty successful change of sound. While it definitely has its inconsistencies and some small changes could have gone a long way, it also features some of the best R&B tracks I've heard all year. Shelley once again shows off his immense talent all over the record and I really do feel like the sky is the limit for someone with his vocal gifts. Even though it's been 5 years since his debut album I think there are plenty of reasons for R&B fans to be excited to listen to Shelley in 2021. 6/10 


Album Cover Review By Tyler Judson:
The direction in this cover is great. You know that they had a specific idea and wouldn't settle for anything else. The photography, colors and styling all come together to make a dynamic portrait. It's a trendy and easily recognizable silhouette that works well as an album cover. 8/10 

For more R&B check out my review of Jazmine Sullivan's Heaux Tales here


Popular posts from this blog

The Top 100 Albums Of 2023

The Tortured Poets Department - Taylor Swift: Review

Rapid Fire Reviews: Weirdo Electronica With DJ Sabrina The Teenage DJ, SBTRKT, and George Clanton