Limbo - Amine: Review

Amine 

is a Portland based hip hop artist who first broke out back in 2017 with his hit song Caroline and a spot on that years XXL freshman list. Since then he has released a debut record in 2017 and a follow-up mixtape in 2018 as well as a number of features. He has effectively managed to keep a foot in both the world of commercial hip hop while managing to be experimental and alternative in his own right, making him one of modern raps most interesting characters. 


Review By Lavender:

Man was I excited to hear this record. Even before the singles came out and were pretty good I was so interested in Amine's career progression. Ever since his last mixtape featured Rico Nasty and since he's teamed up with Injury Reserve twice for killer songs in Campfire and Jailbreak The Tesla. This had me anticipating what aspects of experimental rap music he may work into his sound on his next record, and once it was announced my expectations for Limbo were high. As it turns out all these reasons are more than justified and Limbo adds up to an accessible but refreshingly unique take on contemporary hip hop that is sure to be one of the better rap records of the year. 

The first inclination I had that this album was going to be good came with the three singles released leading up to the record. Shimmy kicked it all off with a short and simple song overflowing with Amine's swagger and charisma that I haven't been able to stop listening to all year. It features one of the catchier hooks I've heard on a hip hop single this year and fits perfectly into the tracklist. The middle single is a much more R&B flavored cut fittingly called Riri. While it is my least favorite of the singles and I think it could have fit well into either of Amine's last projects it still has a solid hook and makes for an enjoyable tune. The third single Compensating is another slick ass trap tune with rumbling bass and a great hook I honestly didn't know Amine had in him. Young Thug fits in perfectly to the track and brings an upbeat vibe that is infectious and immediate. If I woke up tomorrow and this song had become an overnight mega-hit I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. 

There are very few moments I didn't love on the record and really only one flat out dud so lets get them out of the way real quick. Easy with Summer Walker is definitely the weakest of all the songs here and it starts with the totally lifeless vocal performances. I've heard both these artists do sensual track way way better than this one. Can't Decide is another track that could have fit in on Amine's last project both instrumentally and lyrically as he dives into a relationship filled with miscommunication. The beat sort of carries the song and it just doesn't have the pop that so many of these tracks do. Roots features production from Parker Corey of Injury Reserve and sees Amine and JID slowing it down to address their heritage. JID in particular shows off some expert versatility in his prformance and the only reason I don't love the song is the harmonizing between Charlie Wilson and Amine on the hook is pretty awkward and doesn't help the songs already kind of slow momentum. 

Everything else on the record is excellent starting with the opening track Burden. Amine projects have a reputation for great openers and this is no different with a loud but very smooth sample and bars that reference Jay-Z, Rico Nasty and Steve-O right off the bat. The song has a sunny and smooth sound despite and honestly kind of dejected message on the "bury me before I'm a burden" hook. Woodlawn is a contemporary trap style track with a wordy but effective and smooth hook. Amine reminisces on his come up on the first verse before going gull on braggadocios on the second and it all works really well.  Pressure In My Palms is a dark rumbling and confrontational hip hop track with a short but fiery Slowthai feature that sets up for an effortlessly slick and hard-hitting verse from Vince Staples. Everybody shows up and matches the songs dark pulsating beat and the result is one of the records defining moments.

The first ten tracks on the record as a whole are pretty good, but the final four are on another level entirely. Mama is one of my favorite songs here and while hip hop is no stranger to maternal tribute tracks Amine does it so well. The bars here are specific and feel so heartfelt and genuine, not a second of the song is forced and the result is one of my favorite Amine songs to date. Next up is Becky a song that sees Amine assessing racial issues in the world around him through the lens of dating a white girl. It is actually a really focused and often poignant analysis that manages to be really funny at points for another big highlight. 

Fetus is the most profound song on the record and one of the most profound things I've heard all year, and not just because it features Injury Reserve in their first newly released material since Steppa J. Groggs passed away earlier this year. The production from Parker Corey is flat out incredible and could have made the song one of the most memorable all on its own. The lyricism here is what makes the song so incredible but so difficult to swallow. Amine, Ritchie and Groggs share bars about their perspectives on fatherhood but they all do it in a way that is so clearly thought out and expressed with an intimacy that mirrors each of their unique situations. Groggs and Ritchie split one of the song, and the entire albums most impacful bars.

"Hope I can be half the father that my mama was,

Yeah, hope I can be half the father that the Mamba was"

This song stands out as a major highlight that puts the immense talent of it's three MC's and producer on display expertly. RIP Groggs

The closing track My Reality takes a much lighter tone and closes off the record with Amine reflecting on his come-up. He treats it as both quick and surprising but also praises the work he put in and the breaks he got to make it where he it. It is a wonderful moment to wrap up an album like this and even better when heard directly after the few songs that preceded it. 

Limbo isn't perfect but it's Amine's best record yet and stands above almost every other commercial rap album I've heard this year. While there are little things here and there I think could be improved, as a full length album statement Limbo is special and a testament to the talent of Amine. With plenty of great features, great beats, great bars and great fun there is pretty much only one word I can think of to describe the record. Great. 8/10


Album Cover Review By Tyler Judson:
I like the composition of this cover. The positioning of the image is nice and the black and white is well executed. The graphic does take away from the professional quality of the imagery but it's color is greatly needed to give it some different visual interest. 4.5/10

For more hip hop check our my review of Juice WRLD's Legends Never Die here


Popular posts from this blog

You Are The Morning - jasmine.4.t: Review

ICONOCLASTS - Anna Von Hausswolff: Review

Getting Killed - Geese: Review