In A Dream EP - Troye Sivan: Review

Troye Sivan 

is an Australian pop singer who has been releasing electronically tinged emotional pop music since the mid 2010's. His recognizable sound and willingness to address personal topics of love and sexuality, alongside collaborations with the likes of Charli XCX, Allie X and Lauv have helped him gain a profile and a fanbase. In A Dream is Troye's first release since his critically acclaimed sophomore record Bloom in 2018. 

Review By Lavender:

I would consider myself a fan of Troye Sivan. i responded pretty positively to his Bloom album back in 2018 and his pair of collaborations with Charli XCX are two of my favorite songs on one of my favorite records of 2019. On top of that the lead single for this EP released closer to the beginning of 2020 still remains as one of my favorite pop singles of the year so far, which had me excited for this set of tracks. Now that the EP is here I'm happy to report that I think it is pretty solid and I'm excited for what Troye will do next. 

So that lead single that had me so excited about this EP also serves as its opening track, the song Take Yourself Home. It's a moody pop song with a dark veneer lightly stretched over its sugary production and catchy melodies. While the themes of youth and love are nothing new for Troye it is sounding a little more dejected than usual and I really enjoy it. The songwriting is also a stage deeper than a typical pop ballad of the sort and the song closes on a jagged electronic breakdown that is also a sonic highlight. The other single which i wasn't head over heels for when I first heard it but has grown on me over the last few weeks is Rager teenager! While the track doesn't really go for a sound that inspires much rage it does serve as a quiet rebellion from Troye's normally soft and sensual lyrical approach. I really enjoy the songs icy keys and the hushed chorus sounds better and better every time I hear it. 

The third single Easy hasn't quite grown on me in the same way. It's a decent but sweeter pop tune with more direct lyrics that reminds me of older Troye material. The melody is nice but the songwriting is pretty simple and I come away from the track feeling like it's just okay. 

Aside from a short interlude there are only two other tracks we didn't hear before the official release of this EP. STUD is a bottoming anthem that rivals one of my favorite tracks from Troye's last album, the song Bloom. STUD however has a decidedly more synthetic sound with an EDM style instrumental and light touches of vocal manipulation across most of the track. While the song doesn't stop me in my tracks I do enjoy what it has to offer and respect Troye's lyrical sentiments quite a bit. In A Dream is the closing track and it features the most uptempo instrumentation and refrains of the bunch. I love the pounding synth hits and see Troye really pressing the issue with his vocal performance. The song does kind of disappear completely out of nowhere which was a strange way to end the EP off but I still enjoyed it. 

In A Dream sees Troye Sivan ever so slightly broadening his musical horizons in a way that feels both comfortable and necessary. Troye's personal lyricism and willingness to tackle subject matter others in pop music won't are still strong on this EP making for a solid effort that fans of contemporary electro pop music won't want to miss out on this year, 7/10

Album Cover Review By Tyler Judson:

This isn't my favorite cover from Troye but it's still solid for this small EP. It has a handmade rough around the edges quality and the composition is super simple. The graininess and the blur of his face is just enough and the color palette makes for a dynamic image. The text ere is good but I dislike the font and the placement and think it could've been placed in a better location. 6.5/10

For more pop music check out my review of Lady Gaga's Chromatica here

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 100 Albums Of 2023

The Tortured Poets Department - Taylor Swift: Review

Rapid Fire Reviews: Weirdo Electronica With DJ Sabrina The Teenage DJ, SBTRKT, and George Clanton