Ultimate Success Today - Protomartyr: Review

Protomartyr

is a Michigan based post punk band who spent the second half of the 2010's becoming one of the most critically acclaimed groups in the world of post-punk revival. Ultimate Success Today is the bands 5th record and comes on the back of a 2018 EP that has become both a fan and critic favorite, as well as a trio of singles that appear on the album. 

Review By Lavender:
I've enjoyed Protomarty's music since they first graced my ears with their sophomore record all the way back in 2014. The band seemed to be improving too given that their Consolation EP and its single Wheel Of Fortune in particular were big hits. Seeing that the years since their last record has been the bands longest break yet I was expecting big things and while Ultimate Success Today didn't completely blow me away I enjoyed pretty much all of it. 

The record had a trio of singles but they didn't blow me away and I only really consider one of them to be among the best tracks here. That song is the lead single Processed By The Boys which kicks off with a classic post-punk chord progression that hits hard in tight intervals and sounds great alongside the gruff and confrontational vocals. It is a slower cut but the sheer vitriol on display is still so effective at blending into the bands aggressive style. Michigan Hammers seemed like a weird choice for a single and it seems even weirder now that I've heard the whole record. While it does have one of the busier instrumentals the song itself doesn't necessarily stand out on the back of its performances. The highlight of the song is definitely the second half where it does a great job breaking its sound down and re-introducing it for a rousing final 30 seconds. The closing track Worm In Heaven concerned me a bit as a single but I like it much more as the closing piece on the record. It grew on me as I enjoyed a lot of the other slow burners across the album as well as being a pretty fitting conclusion for it all. 

The only other song here I didn't enjoy and the only real dud of the bunch is Tranquilizer. It opens up with a very sky vocal passage that stands out badly as one of the weakest here and while I think the sax playing is once again a good addition the instrumental n the song is another kind of weakness that makes this one of the records most skippable moments. 

The opener Day Without End is a fitting track to kick the album off as its restrained in its instrumental even though it seems like a freak out is always around the corner. The band builds the song up with extra instrumental flares across the second half that results in crashing symbols and wild shoegazey guitars by the end which gets the album going on a high note. I Am You Now features some of my favorite vocals on the entire album as one of the best parts of the bands music continues to improve. Even the wiry distorted guitars aren't enough to overcome the commanding vocals and while the song doesn't blow me away with its composition the performances are excellent. 

The Aphorist features some sonic variety with slower vocal passages that tell some strong narrative moments but are interrupted out of nowhere a few times with great manic instrumental passages that keep me on my toes. June 21 features vocal contributions from Half Waif and while there aren't immediate sparks from the vocal pairing the two start to work really well together as the song wanders on even if the mixing heavily favors the crashing drums and blistering lead guitar. Modern Business Hymns is one of the most instantaneous songs here but the most defining feature of the track is vocals that remind me a ton of Craig Finn from The Hold Steady. With this working alongside a pretty rapid fire instrumental the result is a song I once again am really enjoying. Bridge & Crown is the records 2nd to last slow burner but it reminds me of the opening cut in a good way. It maintains a consistent and compelling sonic presence throughout its build up and even though it isn't the loudest or most aggressive track I think its one of the most impactful. 

Ultimate Success Today is another success from the ever consistent Protomartyr. While once again I'm not blown off my feet by most of these tracks looking back on the record I do have to say there is very little I can complain about. With rewarding detailed instrumentals but no shortage of lyrical content the band adds 8 or 9 more worthwhile tracks to one of the best modern post-punk discographies on this one. 7/10

Album Cover Review by Tyler Judson: The composition of this is makes me happy. I love how the frame of the blue around the donkey really makes it pop out. While the subject matter goes deeper the cover itself is really simple. The lack of text doesn't bother me and it would've been too busy if it had a big text. I also appreciate the realism of the subject mixed with pop art-esqe drawing style. 7/10

For more post-punk check out my retrospection of Joy Division's Closer here 

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 100 Albums Of 2023

The Tortured Poets Department - Taylor Swift: Review

Rapid Fire Reviews: Weirdo Electronica With DJ Sabrina The Teenage DJ, SBTRKT, and George Clanton