Quickies - The Magnetic Fields: Review

The Magnetic Fields

is the long running indie music project of Stephin Merritt that has released a number of heavily themed album in their nearly 30 year existence. Quickies follows Merritt's 50 Song Memoir which contained a song for every year of his life, and this new album is centered around shorter songs with it's 28 tracks totaling just 46 minutes. 

Review By Lavender:
I have been a pretty casual fan of The Magnetic Fields for a long time now. I have just as much admiration for their 1999 classic 69 Love Songs as most people do and when they show up to drop a unique conceptual record every few years I always tune in and they usually provide a few pretty great moments. Quickies is no different and while I won't drive myself crazy breaking down every single one of the records often brief 28 tracks I will just say that as a blanket statement I like more of these songs than I don't and I'm happy to pick out a few highlights. 

The Day The Politicians Died was a track I thought was a cheeky and hilarious single that works really well here. The song is a celebration of exactly what the title implies with sweet vocal harmonies and a short but sweet acoustic instrumental loop. Kraftwerk In A Blackout is another undeniably fun song with some of my favorite lyrics on the record and consistently pretty and catchy melodies throughout with the fluttering fragile vocals. Come, Life, Shaker Life! is one of the records longest songs exceeding two and a half minutes but it is also one of the records most unique and enjoyable points. It's a charming little indie pop tune with some great refrains that is both catchy and rewarding over multiple listens. Finally The Price You Pay is another big highlight for me with a hook that is guaranteed to get stuck in your head and despite its brevity makes a big impact. 

Even though I do like this record it does explore a lot of ideas over 28 tracks and despite how short many of there are there are a handful of moments that I don't love. But for the most part I think this record is a simple but often effective set of indie pop tracks that bring plenty of warm hooks and sugary rewarding vocal lines that take the spotlight over stripped back instrumentals. While there isn't much of a sonic or thematic thread tying these many songs together there is enough charm here to warrant anyone who likes the genre to give it a chance. 6/10 

Album Cover Review by Tyler Judson: This is fun! This a unique way at making a cover. It looks a little thrown together but that makes it interesting. The collage illustrated style is cute and the name front and center and the track list spiraling around means you can't miss any of the information. Although I would like to know what the back of any CD case would look like since everything is on the front. 5/10

For more indie check out my review of Perfume Genius Set My Heart On Fire Immediately here

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 100 Albums Of 2023

The Tortured Poets Department - Taylor Swift: Review

Rapid Fire Reviews: Weirdo Electronica With DJ Sabrina The Teenage DJ, SBTRKT, and George Clanton