Windows Open EP; Dirty Projectors: Review

Dirty Projectors

are a long running indie project based in Brooklyn that has been subject to more line-up changes than can be reasonably kept up with. The one constant through the entire discography of the band is singer, writer, multi-instrumentalist and producer David Longstreth. The bands last two records, the first of which 2017's Dirty Projectors was entirely a solo effort from Longstreth, have been a big time change of pace from the indie sound that they made their name off of, but Windows Open is largely a return to it.

Review By Lavender:
There is no part of the long running and ever changing Dirty Projectors discography that I don't enjoy. From the more experimental tracks David made in the early days, to the bands peak on indie relevancy on records like Bitte Orca and Swing Lo Magellan. A lot of fans have been divided by the most recent two records but I have to say I enjoyed them both quite a bit. 2017's Dirty Projectors saw David revising the bands line-up and going totally solo for a beautifully textured experimental R&B electronica odyssey that I continue to revisit to this day. Their most recent work 2018's Lamp Lit Prose was also a relative hit with me, I gave the record a positive review and it landed in my top 50 albums of the year list. I wasn't demanding the band return to their indie heyday but they seem to have done so regardless by bringing on Maia Freedman for some excellent lead vocals are returning to the breezier heavily indie inspired sound of ten years ago.

What really had me excited for this release was the two singles they dropped for it that make up the middle two songs. Overlord is one of the best singles I've heard all year and there is no part of it I don't adore. The vocals are absolutely perfect and classic Dirty Projectors and the slick change of pace melodies and beautiful harmonizing are a real treat on the ears. The instrumental is initially simple but rises at the absolute perfect moment to make the simple but effective chorus a huge highlight which all adds up to a track I couldn't love more. Search For Life was the second single and provided a second helping of beauty. The track is a swaying song with some simple but effective string arrangements that are gorgeous in their starkness. My only complaint about the song is that it kind of just fades away out of nowhere at the end but I'm more than willing to forgive it since everything up to that point had been good.

I quite enjoy the opening song On The Breeze as well with its simple structure and impossibly sweet guitar. The track is a short introduction that is easy on the ears and pairs really well with the two singles. The only song on the EP I don't love is the closer Guarding The Baby which features much more frontal vocals that disrupt a little bit of the blissfulness. The stripped back guitar instrumental needs a little something I can't quite put my finger on too it almost sounds a little bit too raw and distant given the songs sound. It isn't terrible or even necessarily bad on the ears but it doesn't quite hold up to the rest of the songs here.

Windows Open is 10 minutes of sheer indie bliss from a band who is no stranger to delivering it. With the sharp edges taken out of their last two records Dirty Projectors may have made something more accessible but none of the charm is lost. The EP is a great step in the long running development of one of indie's most interesting acts and is an absolute essential for indie music fans this year. 8/10

For more indie check out my review of Morrissey's I Am Not A Dog On A Chain here

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 100 Albums Of 2023

The Tortured Poets Department - Taylor Swift: Review

Rapid Fire Reviews: Weirdo Electronica With DJ Sabrina The Teenage DJ, SBTRKT, and George Clanton